Trained: Ingledew & Sons
Partner: Edwards Geldard (now Geldards LLP) 1977 - 1986
Founded Hutton’s: 1986
Memberships and Achievements
- Solicitor Advocate (Higher Courts Criminal);
- Founder member of the Law Society's Child Care Panel;
- Former Part-Time Chairman in the Social Security Appeals Tribunal;
- Council Member of the Cardiff & District Law Society;
- Past Director of the Solicitors Benevolent Association
- Author “Jordan’s Criminal Transaction Pack"
- Past Lecturer at Cardiff University (CLPS);
- Past Examiner in PACE at Cardiff University;
- Member of Cardiff Duty Solicitor Scheme;
- Past President of the Cardiff & District Law Society.
Hutton's has been placed again at the top of Band A of Criminal Firms in Wales, by Chambers The Client's Guide to the UK Legal Profession 2006 -2012 editions with Stuart Hutton recognised as a "Leading Individual".
Regarded by many as the leading criminal law specialist in Wales, ranked number one in Wales (see Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession 2006 to 2012) as a "Leader in the Field" (see also The Legal 500, The Clients' Guide to the UK Legal Profession)
Chambers Guide comments: "From its lofty position as "Cardiff's finest for high - profile appellate criminal matters", this firm continues to impress commentators with its wide ranging case load. The group has defended a large scale VAT fraud claim and separately advised on a public decency case concerning the display of potentially shocking images by political candidates. Stuart Hutton is universally applauded for his 'strong sense of direction' and is considered a specialist for complex murder cases."
Stuart Hutton is is described as having "a long standing reputation, particularly for regulatory defence work such as cases involving the infringement of FSA regulations". (Legal 500 (2009))
The Legal 500 (The Clients' Guide to the UK Legal Profession) 2010: "Hutton's represents private clients and corporations, and is a VHCC panel member.The highly regarded Stuart Hutton heads the practice, and works closely with commercial litigator Clare Strowbridge. Work includes murder, corporate fraud, and regulatory cases"
The Legal 500 (2013) :Stuart Hutton has a longstanding reputation ...for handling complex criminal matters, including murder, fraud and regulatory cases. He led on four murder trials in 2012
Chambers UK (A Client's Guide to the UK legal Profession) 2010 describes Stuart Hutton as an "extremely experienced criminal lawyer who has managed to set up a highly effective and efficient criminal defence machine".
Stuart Hutton is a solicitor advocate who wins substantial acclaim for his strength and incisiveness in court.
Areas of Expertise
Stuart undertakes a complete range of criminal litigation with a particular emphasis on complex crime, including murder, fraud and regulatory offences. Stuart is universally applauded for his "strong sense of direction" and is considered a specialist for complex murder cases. Stuart also advises clients in relation to discreet privacy matters, as well as licensing, publishing, media contracts and distribution agreements.
Stuart is a regular contributor to many radio and television programmes commenting on the law and current affairs.
- Lynette White Murder (clients acquitted at second trial),
- The Tooze Farmhouse Murders (conviction overturned by Court of Appeal);
- R v. Jones: Penrhys 'Vigilante' killing (client acquitted of Murder);
- R v Foley (conviction for murder overturned, acquitted at re-trial);
- Establishing the quashing of Murder conviction of "The Cardiff Newsagent Three" by Court of Appeal after 14 years in prison;
- R v. Pike (Acquitted of Murder);
- R v. Freaney (Acquitted of Murder);
- Recently involved in a multi handed VAT carousel fraud of £35m;
- Represented political candidates prosecuted for inflaming public morals (Acquitted);
- Marquis of Bleinheim v. Searle: Successful resolution High Court proceedings through Mediation
- Successful resolution of criminal proceedings against foreign government minister of state;
- Securing successful dismissal of foreign indictment issued by United Nations international prosecutor;
- Successful use of Human Rights Privacy Law to avoid public exposure of sexual conduct;
- Representation of politions, members of sports and entertainment industry.
16mm film collector.